Friday, September 11, 2020

Wikipedia Trail - From Boethius to Mark Whitacre

While I was reading the instructions for Wikipedia trails, I clicked over and scrolled through the Twitter stream. I saw a post there about Boethius and the Consolation of Astronomy. I was not familiar with Boethius, or what he may have had to do with astronomy so off to Wikipedia I went! According to the Wikipedia page, his most notable work was the Consolation of Philosophy, which lead me to my next page. 

Boethius' most notable work apparently had a lot to do with the novel A Confederacy of Dunces, which I would not have known without clicking through these two Wikipedia pages. Not only that, Boethius' work becomes a plot point in the novel. But despite this novel becoming quite well liked after it was published, it has yet to be made into a film.

One of the many people who wanted to make that novel into a film was Steven Soderbergh. He is a writer, director and producer who worked on movies you may have heard of like Ocean's 11, 12 and 13. He was also involved in Magic Mike and a movie called The Informant! which I had not heard of, so helped decide my last page.

The Informant! is a movie based on the true story of Mark Whitacre. Whitacre was a whistle blower who worked with the FBI regarding price fixing complaints at the company he worked for in the 1990s. Unfortunately he was also doing some illegal activities of his own on the side and got caught. Because of that he ended up in federal prison. Ultimately, the FBI still thought he was a pretty decent guy in the end since he helped them with other things. Go figure. 


A film strip because some of this Wikipedia trail was high drama
"film" by popturfdotcom is licensed under CC BY 2.0


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review - Week 13

  "Thanksgiving Decoration" by alasam is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0    I can...