Friday, September 11, 2020

Week 3 Story: Grasshoppers in Winter

Once there was an owl who lived high in an old oak tree. Over the years, the owl had seen many other animals and insects come and go, for owls live longer than squirrels or crickets. This owl had seen many summers. He just wanted to sleep during the day and hunt when night came. Being perched so high in the tree, this usually wasn't a problem. 


Towards the end of summer, a grasshopper began visiting the bottom of the owl's oak tree. Every afternoon the grasshopper would make his music for hours and hours. He'd hop from one place to another and generally just enjoy himself quite loudly, which disturbed the owl's sleep. 


After a few days of this, the owl was incredibly irritated. He was tired, his hunting was off, and he was just having a bad day. He called down to the grasshopper, "Excuse me! Some of us are trying to sleep. Please keep it down!"


The grasshopper was shocked! He didn't even know anyone lived in the oak tree. "Hello up there! I'm sorry my music is bothering you, but why are you asleep on this lovely day? Don't you know the summer is ending?"


"What do I care about the summer?" cried the owl. "I just want to sleep, so I can find something to eat tonight. Go make your music somewhere else and leave me alone!"


The grasshopper was not unreasonable and hoped the owl would talk things over with him. "Perhaps I could make music at different times? I'll only be here a short time longer. I'm sure we can make something work until summer is done!"


The owl wanted to hear no more of this talk from the grasshopper. "I am the owl, this is my tree, and I told you to leave! I don't want to make something work, and I don't care that you're only planning to stay by my tree for a little while, I want you to go now!" 


"Oh no, Mr. Owl, you misunderstand me. The summer is ending, and it's getting colder. Soon I won't be anywhere. I make my music to remember happier days. Grasshoppers don't live through the winter. That's why I care so much about the summer."


The owl was briefly shocked into silence. He knew the other creatures in the forest came and went with the seasons, but he had never stopped to think that some of the animals only knew one season. "Make your music then," said the owl. "Just try to keep it down in the middle of the day."


The weeks went by, and the grasshopper made his music. The owl learned to sleep through the noise, just as he learned to sleep through all the other noises from the forest. The days grew shorter, and the nights grew colder, but it didn't bother the owl. The grasshopper's song grew shorter and quieter, but the owl didn't notice. 


One day the owl woke up, and it was cold. There was snow on the ground. The forest was quiet. As the owl left his oak tree to hunt, he noticed grasshopper in the snow, silent and still. He called out to grasshopper, "Hello down there! Are you enjoying your first winter?"

 

 

Owl in winter

"Great Gray Owl Morning" by Leslie Abram is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0 

 


The grasshopper made no reply for grasshoppers do not live in the winter. The owl remembered this talk with the grasshopper at the end of summer. Not one to let food go to waste, the owl picked up the grasshopper and started off the night with a quick snack. Perhaps next summer, a new grasshopper come to would share the space around the oak tree. 



If you consider things from a different perspective, you may find it easier to compromise.

 

 

 

 

Author's Note: This was based on The Owl and the Grasshopper, from the Aesop (Winter) unit. Story Source: The Aesop for Children, with illustrations by Milo Winter (1919).


In the original the owl is basically a curmudgeon who wants nothing to do with anyone. The grasshopper is also not open to chatting about making music or noise, just plays louder. So the story is very quick with the grasshopper tricked and eaten. I thought it would be interesting if the two characters talked for a second. Then since grasshoppers don't really overwinter, maybe they could work something out!

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Eli! This story is so well written. I really appreciate your characters, and the way you draw everything in to the original story. I can tell from your authors note that you took a lot of time writing this, and tying it back to the original story. I hope I get the chance to read more of your work later in the semster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Eli! I really loved your creative take on the story. Not only did you twist the ending, but you also gave it a different learning point that I feel is especially relevant these days. The original version didn't move me as much as yours did, and I really liked how through communication both animals reaped the benefits instead of just one in the original story. It's a very feel good tale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eli,

    I enjoyed reading your story! I started to feel sad when the grasshopper explained to the owl why he was playing his music. He just wanted to live out the rest of his summer days doing what makes him happy. I liked how the owl ended up sympathizing with the grasshopper and letting him continue to make music without yelling at him. I also liked that you added dialogue between the two characters so that we could see the grasshopper's side. It's great that they were able to compromise in your story.

    ReplyDelete

Review - Week 13

  "Thanksgiving Decoration" by alasam is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0    I can...