Sunday, September 13, 2020

Feedback Strategies

The first article I read was "Try Feed Forward Instead of Feedback" by Marshall Goldsmith. I don't know if this would work in this class since we are digital, but the strategy is interesting! I like the idea of looking forward and seeing what changes can be made in the future rather than focusing on past issues. While there are times that past issues would need to be addressed and corrected, I can see how in many aspects of life and business looking forward would work better. 

Feedback is like sushi. Fabulous when fresh and useless if not harmful when old.

The second article I read was "How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk" by Adam Grant. I will admit this is my biggest fear! Anytime I can't just say 150% positive things about something I automatically feel like I'm a jerk, even if the assignment is to give feedback, or someone has asked for feedback. This article was helpful because it said it was actually more useful most of the time to just be direct and say what you mean, in a helpful fashion of course. 

In general feedback freaks me out. I do not mind receiving feedback, my entire major and most of my current courses are all about receiving feedback, but I do worry about giving it! I don't want to give out useless feedback, but I don't want to be harsh either. I feel like it can be hard to find a really good balance.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review - Week 13

  "Thanksgiving Decoration" by alasam is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0    I can...