Monday, October 5, 2020

Week 6 Extra Credit Reading Notes: Project Research - Volcanoes

 This week I'm doing some extra credit reading from these pages:

Norse Mythology - Volcanos, Vikings, Fire Gods & Screaming Zombie Dwarfs - by Hannah Osbourne

Sangkuriang

Legends of Iceland's Volcanoes

For the Norse mythology page the author made several interesting comparisons between the well known Norse myths of Loki and Surtur and the warning signs of a volcanic eruption. This could pretty easily tie back into the angry gods idea - earthquake swarms pre-eruption? Loki is getting dripped on again, everyone watch out. He may get loose this time and then we are in for Ragnarok.


(Image information: Ragnarök by Doepler - Source)

The Poetic Edda further describes Fimbulwinter, three winters with no summer, as occurring right before Ragnarok. This could also relate to volcanic eruption as a large eruption would disrupt the climate.

Sangkuriang is wild and I love the story. I am not sure I could do it justice if I used it in my Storybook but it is tempting. We have shape shifting, mistaken identity, patricide, an Oedipal story line, deception and in the end the formation of a volcano. It's more complicated than most daytime soap operas and I would need to plot very carefully. 

Iceland has some AMAZING myths. My two favorites are the sorceress's magical pants and also the spinning/weaving troll. The last one evoked Rumpelstiltskin for me, which was interesting!

I have also read through information about Enkelados and Typhoeus, who are said to be under Mt Etna in Sicily and therefore responsible for the eruptions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review - Week 13

  "Thanksgiving Decoration" by alasam is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0    I can...