Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Feedback Thoughts - Week 2

The first article I read was How to Mentor a Perfectionist. I had to laugh at some of the advice given in the article because I recognized things I've been doing to myself over the years. The article specifically mentioned using humor, the example was humor to a catastrophic level. I've had to do that with myself several times when I start to panic about doing something new, not getting something quite right or panicking during a presentation. I will stop and tell myself that literally the worst thing that could happen is I could walk in, forget everything I've ever learned and drop dead on the spot. But that's really not likely so calm down, everything will be fine. Worrying about perfection really does cause anxiety!

The second article I read was How to Tame Your Inner Critic: A Simple Habit to Rewire Your Brain. This article actually really spoke to me. In social work while we are in practice to help clients and communities, we are supposed to focus on what strengths our clients bring with them. It may be something as simple as they came in and filled out a form to ask for help, but that's a strength. As students we can be presented with what looks like a really challenging potential client with a lot of needs. Yet we will go through and find strengths and positive things that this other person has going for us. But ask us to list our own personal strengths? Silence! I think using REBS is a great way to get into building yourself up, allowing mistakes, moving on and getting used to it. It can be a really hard thing to do.


Feedback survey in an airport bathroom. Nothing to do directly with my articles but was very, very amusing to me as a photo that came up while looking for images related to feedback. I hope you get a kick out of it as well. 

"Instant feedback" by 4nitsirk is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review - Week 13

  "Thanksgiving Decoration" by alasam is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0    I can...