Friday, August 28, 2020

Some thougths on Growth Mindset

 I was vaguely familiar with Carol Dweck and the concept of a growth mindset prior to this week.  Coming from a social work perspective I do lean slightly more towards the criticism side. While I see the advantages of this, I do worry that it could miss looking at the whole person and what else might be going on in their life and community. 

If using this philosophy in an elementary or high school setting, does the school or district have the resources available to help with other issues a child or family may have? For instance, do students in need have access to a food pantry, laundry, or housing assistance? Or can the school make referrals once it recognizes the need? As long as basic needs are being met when it's possible, I like the idea. Encouraging effort, even if the first, second, and so on, attempts are not quite what you want, is always a great idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review - Week 13

  "Thanksgiving Decoration" by alasam is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0    I can...